What is Health Anxiety?
Health anxiety is a disorder that causes one to become excessively worried that he or she is sick or is likely to become ill.
Sometimes it may present no physical symptoms, but one may believe that normal sensations of the body or even minor symptoms are symptoms of a severe illness.
Even though no thorough medical examination has been conducted, revealing a severe illness
What are the Symptoms of Health Anxiety?
Some of the symptoms of health anxiety include the following:
- Experiencing a lot of distress concerning possible illness such that you find it hard to function.
- Always worrying that body sensations or minor symptoms are signs of significant illness.
- Regularly surfing the internet looking for symptoms of possible diseases.
- Regularly making appointments with doctors to reassure yourself that you are not indeed suffering from a severe illness, or avoiding visiting your doctor for fear of being diagnosed with severe disease.
- Being easily alarmed concerning the status of your health.
- Avoiding places, activities, or people to reduce the risk to your health.
- Always talking about issues to do with your health as well as possible illnesses.
- Regularly checking your body for signs of disease.
- Refusing to accept or get assurance from negative test results or the reliability as well as the doctor’s assurance that there is nothing wrong with your health.
- Always getting pre-occupied about getting a serious illness or health condition,
- Always worrying about a particular health condition or your risk of developing a specific medical condition that runs within your family.
What are the benefits of not having health anxiety?
Some of the benefits of not having health anxiety include the following:
People without this particular disorder are needlessly not worried that they have serious illnesses or are that they are likely to get sick any time soon.
For this reason, they never experience any problems with sleep.
On the other hand:
people with health anxiety disorder find it very hard to sleep because their minds are always occupied with the fear that they are facing a severe illness or are likely to suffer from one.
Good family relationships
Excessive worrying associated with a health anxiety disorder may cause some of your family members to become frustrated.
This can lead to strained family relations. In contrast, this is not likely to happen in families that don’t have any member with health anxiety disorder.
Good work performance
Health anxiety disorder usually leads to work-related performance problems as well as frequent absence from work.
These factors are associated with a negative impact on one’s job performance.
On the contrary, people without health anxiety disorder perform to their level best and are not absent from work without good reasons.
Living life to the fullest
People with this type of disorder find it difficult to function in daily life, and can eventually become disabled.
On the other hand, people who do not suffer from this particular disorder have no problem functioning in everyday life and are therefore able to live to the fullest.
People who suffer from health anxiety disorder spend a lot of money visiting various doctors and undergoing unnecessary tests.
This inevitably affects their financial stability because they end up using most of their money on health care visits. On the other hand, healthy people only spend money on doctors only when it is necessary, meaning that they can save their money.
Reduced risk of suffering from other mental disorders
People with health anxiety disorder stand a higher risk of suffering from other types of mental disorders, including somatic symptom disorder, depression, personality disorder, as well as other anxiety disorders. On the contrary, the risk of suffering from these types of mental disorders is very low for healthy people.
How can hypnotherapy help reduce health anxiety?
Hypnotherapy is regularly used as an aid to certain types of psychotherapy, including counselling and also as a separate treatment option.
For this reason, Hypnotherapy can be used to help treat health anxiety disorder because it can help the sufferer to explore painful thoughts, memories, and feelings that he or she might have hidden from his or her conscious mind.
Additionally, Hypnotherapy can help the sufferer perceive some things differently, including blocking thoughts that lead to health anxiety disorder.